Thursday, September 11, 2008

First!

Well, just opened this thing last week, and I kinda figured it would be beneficial to actually use it (plus I've been bored), so here goes.

I've been active in EVE-Online for almost two years now. I've gotten into some pretty interesting shenanigans; invading enemy territory, patrolling my own, piracy, thievery, defense, entrepreneurship and a few other activities I'm sure I've forgotten.

Lately, I've been involved in Faction Warfare, a feature that demonstrates the newly declared war between the four Empires of New Eden (the galaxy EVE Online takes place in). It's not as brutal as the total war waged out on the fringe systems, but times have been interesting.

I'm an Electronic Warfare pilot these days. I fly in a Falcon, an advanced cruiser with state-of-the-art electronics, jamming equipment, cloaking device and surveillance equipment. My particular ship, which I've named the LH-S Omniscience, fields an impressive 7 Multispectral Jammers, capable of rendering useless several enemy ships at once.

My niche is one of many available to pilots of New Eden. I've flown in an intercepting role, damage dealing, exploration and scouting for a fleet, stealth and espionage, and even flown a stealth bomber. I enjoy the Electronic Warfare portion of the game more than these however, because I am able to effectively remove several enemies from the fight with my jamming, thereby protecting my wingmen.

-----------------------

I get myself into trouble every now and again in EVE. Wandering into enemy territory with some friends, or alone, usually leads to a fight. Other players are fiercely defensive of their space, and will react with overwhelming force almost every time. Hit and run attacks are the norm these days for such incursions, and my ability to jam targets enhances our survivability in case we're not quite running yet when reinforcements arrive.

On one such occasion, we were attacked shortly after we destroyed an enemy mining vessel. Several cruiser-class ships dropped out of warp almost on top of our small wing. In an instant they were on one of our ships, a hapless cruiser-class vessel known as a Caracal. Fortunately, I was sitting cloaked nearly 100 kilometers away in the Omniscience. I was able to jam the targetting systems of the attackers just in time to let our cruiser get away, and even destroying one of the attackers in the process.

-----------------------

Unfortunately, I hadn't had much time to play this week, so this is the only real action to post. I let this story sit for a bit, hoping for something else to add, but oh well. Next week I plan to take a small hunter-killer party out to track down industrial ships, mining, and hostile patrols.

No comments: